President Uhuru Kenyatta on March 15, 2014 confirmed two more cases of the raging coronavirus in Kenya.
The president said the confirmations are as a result of the tests done on 27 people who came in close contact with the first patient in the country.
Accordingly, the two patients were quarantined in Kenyatta Hospital’s isolation unit for treatment.
The president said that the patients are responding well to treatment adding that the government is doing everything humanly possible to support them to full recovery.
Following the additional cases, the president has issued the following directive;
- People from any country affected by the viruses are not allowed in Kenya for the next 30 days. This is effective within the next 48 hours
- Foreigners and Kenyans with permits will be allowed in the country provided the accept to quarantine for at least 14 days
- Anyone exhibiting the symptoms should present themselves to hospital for examination.
- Learning is suspended in all institutions. Day primary and secondary schools will close on Monday while boarding schools will follow suit on Wednesday.
- Universities and colleges will close on Friday
- Businesses and government offices have been asked to allow their employees to work from home where possible.
- Businesses have been asked to get till numbers so that payments can be done cashless.
- People should avoid visiting crowded places
- Hospitals, shopping malls, public transport vehicles and other commercial centers should provide water, soap and sanitizers.
- He warned traders from hoarding goods to making a kill.
- He asked the public to avoid misinformation that causes panic and anxiety
“Some measures taken today may cause inconveniences but they are designed to ensure we contain the spread of the virus.” He said
So far, there are approximately 156,465 infections around the world of which 5838 deaths have been reported since the disease broke out in Wuhan China in December 2019